1991 - 1995
- Unite is born in Bristol! Through collaboration with the University of the West of England we recognise a way to regenerate tired, disused buildings into top-quality homes for students.
- Our first property is opened in Bristol.
- We open more properties in Bristol, and look to make our students’ living experience even better by introducing property management services.
1996 - 2000
- We open our first properties in London.
- We continue to expand, opening properties in the university cities of Manchester, Liverpool and Portsmouth.
- We become a FTSE 250 company and launch on the London Stock Exchange.
2001 - 2005
- We start carrying out customer research to find out what we can do to make things even better for our students, and share this information with our partners.
- Acquiring a 1,168-bed student village in Sheffield brings our total number of properties to 100!
2006 - 2010
- We celebrate our fifteenth birthday by winning three customer service awards.
- Our commitment to improving the lives of everyone we work with is recognised when we are named one of Britain’s top employers
- Our growth continues with the opening of our new Swan House office in London.
- We appoint Phil White CBE as our new chairman. With an impressive history in the transport industry, Phil helps us drive positive changes for our students.
- By now we provide a home for over 40,000 students in 135 properties across 23 key university towns and cities throughout the UK.
- We are proud to be awarded the Investors in People Silver Award.
- The introduction of our Student Panel means that we can talk directly to students about what they want and ask them to get involved with making Unite even better.
- We introduce free Wi-Fi throughout all our student homes.
- Our customer satisfaction and university trust scores are at their highest levels ever for the second year in a row.
- The launch of our MyUnite app means students can log and track maintenance requests quickly and easily from their smartphones.
- Unite becomes Unite Students, a change in name that better reflects our values by putting students at the heart of everything we do.
- The World of Unite is launched on Facebook, making it even easier for students to connect with each other.
- We increase internet speeds throughout all our student homes from 8 Mb to 20 Mb.
- Our customer satisfaction and university trust scores enjoy a record high for the third year in a row.
- Free fortnightly kitchen and lounge cleaning is introduced across our properties, removing hassle for our students.
- Energy-saving LED lighting is piloted in our student homes.
- We buy five new properties providing a home for 3,000 more students.
- Unite Students across the UK raises £120,000 for Cancer Research UK.
- Became a Living Wage Employer.
- Unite UK Student Accommodation Fund acquired a 2,100 bed student accommodation portfolio.
- Opening of Orchard Heights (Bristol) and Angel Lane (Stratford).
- Awarded 12 bronze Green Impact Awards by the National Union of Students.
- Won ‘Student Accommodation Operator of the Year’ at the RESI Awards.
2016... so far
2016 marks our 25th anniversary as a company, it’s also been one of our best years yet.
- Investors in People awarded us Gold Status, an accolade which recognises that Unite Students offers a great place to work with a clear commitment to developing employees.
- We retained ‘Student Accommodation Operator of the Year’ RESI award for the third time in four years.
- We’ve opened an office in China and launched our Chinese website.
- Staff and students raise over £170,000 for Sport Relief.
- New properties to open in Coventry, London, Portsmouth and Aberdeen.