1991 - 1995
- Unite is born in Bristol! Through collaboration with the University of the West of England, we recognise a way to regenerate tired, disused buildings into top-quality homes for students.
- Our first property is opened in Bristol.
- We open more properties in Bristol, and look to make our students’ living experience even better by introducing property management services.
1996 - 2000
- We open our first properties in London.
- We continue to expand, opening properties in Manchester, Liverpool and Portsmouth.
- We become a FTSE 250 company and launch on the London Stock Exchange.
2001 - 2005
- We start carrying out customer research to find out what we can do to make things even better for our students, and share this information with our partners.
- We open our 100th property!
2006 - 2010
- We celebrate our fifteenth birthday by winning three customer service awards.
- We are voted one of Britain's top employers
- Our growth continues with the opening of our new Swan House office in London.
- We appoint Phil White CBE as our new chairman. With an impressive history in the transport industry, Phil helps us drive positive changes for our students.
- By now we provide a home for over 40,000 students in 135 properties across 23 key university towns and cities throughout the UK.
- We are awarded the Investors in People Silver Award.
- We introduce free Wi-Fi throughout all our student homes.
- Our customer satisfaction and university trust scores are at their highest levels ever for the second year in a row.
- The launch of our MyUnite app means students can log and track maintenance requests quickly and easily from their smartphones.
- Unite becomes Unite Students, a change in name that better reflects our values by putting students at the heart of everything we do.
- We increase internet speed throughout our properties.
- Our customer satisfaction and university trust scores enjoy a record high for the third year in a row.
- Free fortnightly kitchen and lounge cleaning is introduced across our properties, removing hassle for our students.
- Energy-saving LED lighting is piloted in our student homes.
- We buy five new properties providing a home for 3,000 more students.
- Unite Students raises £120,000 for Cancer Research UK.
- We become a Living Wage Employer.
- We are awarded 12 bronze Green Impact award by the National Union of Students.
- We win Student Accommodation Operator of the Year at the RESI Awards.
- 2016 marks our 25th anniversary, and it's also one of our best years yet.
- We are awareded Investors in People Gold Status, an accolade which recognises that Unite Students offers a great place to work with a clear commitment to developing employees.
- We retain the ‘Student Accommodation Operator of the Year’ RESI award for the third time in four years.
- We’ve open an office in China and launch our Chinese website.
- Staff and students raise over £170,000 for Sport Relief.