Return to top

Questions on making a booking with Unite Students

How do I book a room?

There are two ways you can book a room with Unite Students; 
Online (this is the easiest way to book); select your city and browse the properties where you’ll be staying. Choose the room you want and click ‘Book Room’, you’ll then be asked to register as a new customer (if you haven’t done this already). If you have already registered, you can use your existing username and password.
With a member of our team; if you’re already living with us or have visited a property to view, you can also book with a member of the team directly or give us a call and book with an advisor on 0300 303 8642.

What do I need to do when booking?

You need to be ready to pay your deposit – this is a one off payment made at the time you book, it’s protected during your stay with us (there is more information about this below) and as long as your room and communal areas are left in good condition, returned in full at the end of your stay.
You need to be ready to set up an automatic instruction for your rent – we won’t take any rent from you when you book, but we will need to set up an automatic instruction, usually a Direct Debit or Continuous Card Recurring Authority (CCRA), for your future rent instalments. 
If you’re using someone else’s card, they’ll need to give their permission for you to use it – make sure you ask the card holder if you are using their details to pay a deposit, or for rent. If you’re speaking with a member of the team at Unite Students, we’ll need to speak with the card holder to check they’re happy for their card to be used.

How do I complete my booking?

There are a few steps you need to take to finalise your booking. Once we have everything we need, your account status will change to COMPLETE. Details on what you need to do can be found here.

Can I view your rooms?

Nearly all our properties have dedicated show flats which you can view and we can answer any questions you may have. The easiest way to book a viewing is online; you can do this by selecting the property you wish to view and the time that suits you best.

Who can stay with Unite Students?

Any full-time student can live with Unite Students; your University or College can let you know if you are classed as a full time student. If you’re still unsure about this, give us a call and we can help.

If I am doing an internship/placement year, am I allowed to live with Unite Students?

You can live with Unite Students if you are still registered as a full-time student and your placement is part of your degree/course.

What happens if I change my mind after booking the room or don't get the grades/visa for my chosen university?

What is a deposit protection scheme?

By law, if you pay a deposit to your landlord or letting agent then they must protect it in a government-authorised tenancy deposit protection scheme. This applies to all landlords and agents in England and Wales who have an Assured Shorthold Tenancy (AST) agreement with their tenant. We use MyDeposits (England) and MyDeposits Scotland (Scotland) to protect your deposit.  

What is the utility guarantee fee?

This is already included in the rent payment and is not an additional cost to you. It is simply an amount set aside to ensure that your rent won’t increase if utility providers increase their charges.

How do I sign the contract?

We will email you and your guarantor a link, which will show you the terms and conditions of your contract. Once you have accepted these, your booking is complete and you have signed the contract. You will need to scroll through all the terms and conditions before the option to accept is made available to you. 
If you are having any difficulty using the online acceptance function – get in touch with us, we’ll be happy to help!

What is a guarantor?

A guarantor is someone who takes joint financial responsibility for your tenancy. If, for any reason, you are unable to pay an amount owed to Unite Students it is your guarantor’s responsibility to do so. You will need to name a guarantor when you make your booking and this person will need to sign the tenancy paperwork. We have the right to recover any outstanding monies from your guarantor so it is important that your guarantor understands their liability.
Who can be a guarantor? Anyone over the age of 25, who does not live with Unite Students. It is important to choose someone who is able to take financial responsibility for your booking if you are unable to do so.
My university/another organization has agreed to be my guarantor, what do I do? A named person from your university or other organisation will need to be included in your guarantor information – you can use the university or named organisation address and that person will need to accept the terms and conditions as guarantor.

Who needs a guarantor?

All Unite Students tenants need a guarantor. However, your guarantor does not need to be based in the UK. They will need to understand their liability and agree to this responsibility.

I’m a mature student and paying my rent in full, do I still need a guarantor?

Yes, all Unite Students tenants require a guarantor.

What is a witness?

A witness is a person who is present at the signing of a legal document. They sign the document to indicate that they personally saw the signing and the document is authentic. The date that the witness signs any document should be the same as the date that the tenant/guarantor signs the document.
A witness can be anyone over the age of 18, if you are booking a property in England, this should not be a family member. 
The witness must be a third party, that is, not the tenant or guarantor, and should be over 18 years of age.
If the property being booked is in England, the witness must not be related to you or your guarantor. In Scotland it is acceptable for the witness to be related to either you or your guarantor.

My booking has expired - can I rebook?

You are more than welcome to rebook if your previous booking has expired. We cannot guarantee booking you into the same room, as this may have been booked by someone else after your booking expired. If you choose not to rebook, you will get your deposit back.
To rebook after an expiry, get in touch with one of our team and we’ll be happy to help!

I have special requirements for my living needs, can Unite Students help with these?

We will always do what we can to find you suitable accommodation. Please get in touch with a member of the team if you need any help.

I want to book with my friends, how can this be organised?

You can organise a booking with your friends by completing the Group Booking Form online. This will let our team know that you and your friends are interested in a group booking and we’ll get in touch to help you find a suitable flat.

Can I get a shorter tenancy?

Some of our cities offer short, flexible tenancies. Details of these options can be found here (subject to availability).

Can I move in early or check out late?

Our standard tenancies have fixed dates and cannot be changed. However, if you are looking to move in earlier or move out later it may be possible to book an additional short stay tenancy. Our website shows when each property may be available, so have a look and get in touch if you would like to book.

What is a council tax exemption form and why do I need it?

This is a document that proves that you are not liable to pay local council taxes. Your university can provide you with an exemption form once you have enrolled.

What documents do I need to bring to the property when I move in?

Please bring an official form of ID with you (for example, a passport or driving licence).

How do I contact Unite Students?

If you have any further questions, feel free to get in touch with a member of our team here.