University accommodation Clearing.
Find Clearing accommodation across the UK. We still have plenty of student rooms available - find your university city below or keep reading for more information.
Check room availability at your university city
Applying for accommodation during university Clearing is easy – it’s pretty much the same as applying at any other time. There might be less room availability but there are always options from individual landlords, directly from universities and with providers like Unite Students.
We recommend securing your place on a university course before arranging your accommodation, as we’ll need your course details to confirm your room. You can reserve your room online in minutes, starting with the link below, or you can visit our Contact Us page and get in touch.
Jump to what you need by clicking or tapping the links below:
- Can I still get accommodation during university Clearing?
- How quickly can I confirm a student room?
- What rooms are still available during university Clearing
- Is it the same price to get a student room during Clearing?
- Can I apply for accommodation after Clearing?
- Can I apply for a room after the term has started?
- University Clearing: Quick tips for finding accommodation
- Everything you need to know about university Clearing
Can I still get accommodation during university Clearing?
Yes, you can still get accommodation during university Clearing. Unite Students has accommodation in 25 cities across the UK, and most universities keep places available at student halls for Clearing students.
There are often student rooms free until term starts and beyond for anyone who goes through Clearing in September or October.
How quickly can I confirm a student room?
You can confirm a student room with Unite Students in minutes. All it takes is a few short clicks and some information from you.
Once you’ve found the Clearing accommodation you want to book, here’s what you need to do:
- Select the dates you need. You can choose from Full year (September 2022 – September 2023) or Academic year (September 2022 – July 2023) then click Book.
- Pop your details into the form. You’ll need to provide:
- Personal details
- Contact details
- Course details
- A password
- Provide Guarantor information. This is typically a parent a guardian, someone who can cover the costs if you’re unable to.
- Add your payment details. This is to secure the room.
You can also Contact Us directly in person, on web chat or on the phone to book Clearing accommodation.
What rooms are still available during university Clearing?
University rooms are allocated on a first-come-first-served basis, so availability will depend on what’s been reserved in each city.
The sooner you book a room, the more likely you’ll get the accommodation you want. However, our advice is to only reserve a room when you’re ready and when you know it’s within your budget. Our hints and tips are below.
Is it the same price to get a student room during Clearing?
Yes, it’s the same price for our student rooms during Clearing. We don’t charge extra for students who book rooms with us through Clearing.
You will have the option of choosing to pay for a full year or an academic year, depending on how long you want the room for. It’s more cost-effective to book for a full year than an academic year.
Can I apply for accommodation after Clearing?
Yes, you can apply for accommodation after Clearing. We suggest you go through Clearing first, before trying to find accommodation. This is because you might find a course at a different university or city from the one you may have originally had in mind.
Our booking system asks for your university and course information, so you won’t be able to book accommodation until you’ve secured a place on a university course. This is to ensure that our accommodation remains exclusively for students, so your flatmates and neighbours are all students too!
Can I apply for a room after the term has started?
You can book at any time that is convenient to you - we have availability throughout the year for shorter stays
If you book a room after the start of term, you'll only pay for the weeks that you stay with us.
University Clearing: Quick tips for finding accommodation
- Know your budget – don’t rush into a decision. Renting an unaffordable room could lead to financial pressure after you’ve moved in. Make sure you’ve got money left for food, drink and looking after yourself.
- Speak to your university if you need help – if you can’t find accommodation with United Students or your university, talk to your university. They might be able to add you to a waiting list, or put you in touch with local landlords or students who are in a similar position.
- Look for any social media groups – look for any student groups where people might be looking for housemates.
Everything you need to know about university Clearing
What is university Clearing?
Clearing is when universities fill any available places on courses with applicants who are waiting to get a place. In 2022, Clearing runs from 5 July to 18 October – although, it really starts with results day on 9 August in Scotland and 18 August for the rest of the UK.
You might need to go through Clearing if:
- You’ve received exam results that don’t meet the conditions of your offers.
- You’re applying after 30 June.
- You didn’t receive any offers.
- You’ve chosen to decline your offers.
- You’ve paid the multiple-choice application fee of £26.50.
How to get on a course during Clearing
You can use the UCAS Clearing search tool to find courses with places still available. The sooner you apply for Clearing, the more courses you will have to choose from.
Clearing can mean last-minute changes for students. You might accept a place on a different course, a different university or even a different city from the one you were expecting.
It can be a nerve-wracking time, but many students find courses they love and succeed in through Clearing every year.
Key Clearing dates in the UK
Clearing typically commences in July and closes in September but the specific dates vary from year to year.
The following dates are for Clearing 2022.
- 5 July 2022 – Clearing applications open
- 5 July 2022 – International Baccalaureate results day
- 9 August 2022 – Scottish Highers results day in Scotland (SQA)
- 18 August 2022 – A-level results day in England, Northern Ireland and Wales (JCQ)
- 18 October 2022 – Last day of Clearing
Clearing accommodation questions?
If you have questions on how applying through Clearing will affect booking student accommodation, you can talk with a member of our team via our chat box, which you can find at the bottom right-hand side of our site.
You can also Contact Us directly in person, or on the phone to book Clearing accommodation.