How can I prevent false fire alarms?
False activations are frustrating. Not only do they disrupt you, but they can also make others become too relaxed when it comes to hearing the fire alarm. You should never assume a fire alarm is just a false activation, and always evacuate whenever you hear the alarm.
There are however a few things you can do to help reduce false alarm activations:
- Keep the bathroom door closed when showering as steam can activate the fire alarm
- Use aerosol sprays in the bathroom and turn on the extractor fan
- Do not cover your bedroom heater with clothes or other items
- Do not use candles
- When cooking - open your kitchen windows slightly and keep your kitchen fire door closed. Don’t leave cooking unattended.
- If your break glass point is damaged, let your Unite Students team know
- Don’t smoke in the building
- If you suspect that others might be smoking in the building, let your Unite Students team know