How can I keep safe from fire in my flat?
Nothing is more important than your safety, and that includes keeping safe from fire in your flat. There’s safety equipment and systems on site that help to keep you safe every day, but there’s a part for you to play too.
Here’s the best ways to keep fire safe in your flat:
- Keep doorways and hallways free from obstructions
- Keep fire doors closed and never wedge them open
- Switch on your cooker extractor fan when you cook
- Never leave your cooking unattended
- Don’t start cooking if you’re tired or under the influence of drugs or alcohol
- Never cover a heater or dry your clothes on them
- Never cover a smoke detector
- Use the bathroom fan when showering - steam, and even deodorant spray, can set off the smoke alarm
- Never use faulty electrical equipment
- Be careful to not overload plug sockets or extension leads when in use (appliances which give off heat should only ever be plugged in alone eg hairdryers etc)
And around the building:
- Keep all exits and hallways clear of any obstructions
- Never wedge communal fire doors open
- Report any faults with fire doors or equipment to us as soon as you spot them
- Never block emergency access to your building
- Familiarise yourself with fire escapes and your fire assembly point
- Only use the dedicated smoking areas and never smoke or vape inside
And remember, tampering with fire safety equipment is against the law. Don’t tamper with your fire extinguishers, fire alarm system, smoke detectors (including covering them), break-glass and fire exit signs.