Student accommodation in Birmingham
Safe and secure
All bills included
- Type of roomH
- Length of stayH
- all filtersH
Getting you settled
Safe and secure
There when you need us
University accommodation in Birmingham
With five universities to choose from, including the University of Birmingham and Aston University, Birmingham is an excellent place to study. It’s also home to one of the largest international student communities in the UK, so no matter where you’re from, you’ll feel right at home.
If you’re on the hunt for student accommodation in Birmingham, we have plenty of flats and residential halls in and around the city. Situated towards the north of the city, you’ll find a range of stylish halls suitable for students at Aston University and Birmingham Metropolitan. For those studying at Birmingham City University’s North Campus or Newman University, we also have a wide range of student accommodation close to the city’s major transport links.
How to book Birmingham student accommodation
Found a property you like the look of? You can arrange a viewing before you book. Simply email or phone us to arrange a viewing or our student flats in Birmingham.
To book student accommodation in Birmingham through the Unite Students website, simply:
- Choose the property where you would like to live and select which room you’d like to book (our rooms are single occupancy only).
- Choose your tenancy length – the whole year, the academic year, or a semester.
- Enter your name, date of birth, country of residence, contact details, university, and course.
- Enter your guarantor details – they must be over the age of 25 and will be liable for your rent if you miss or fail to keep up with payments.
- Enter your credit or debit card details. There’s also the option to pay by direct debit, so you’ll never have to worry about missing a payment.
- Choose an instalment plan – pay in either one, three or seven instalments.
Before you get started, you’ll need to ensure that you:
- are at least 16 years old.
- are in full time education.
- 7 days cooling off period – If you change your mind, or need to withdraw from the rental agreement, we’ll give you the option to cancel your booking up to 7 days after you receive a booking confirmation.
- No Place, No Pay – (applicable to first year students only). If your place at university is withdrawn because you didn’t meet the entry requirements, you may be eligible to be released from the rental agreement. You may also be able to withdraw from the agreement if you choose to go to a different university due to exceeding your expected grades.
Types of room
Explore our selection of en-suite rooms.
An ensuite room comes complete with your very own bathroom and toilet for added privacy.
Browse our stylish studio apartments.
A studio is a self-contained room or flat, consisting of a living room, bedroom, and kitchen. This can be a great choice for students wanting to live alone.
Explore our properties with accessible rooms.
We have a range of rooms that are accessible for students with reduced mobility. Students can also get in touch with our accessibility team and have their room tailored to their needs.
Our Birmingham uni accommodation rooms come in three grades: basic, classic and premium.
- Basic – our best value student accommodation, with access to all the facilities.
- Classic – get more space and storage with our Classic rooms.
- Premium - better views, more space and larger beds when you opt for Premium.
Features vary by property – browse our Birmingham properties for further details on room grades.
Ways to pay
Making a payment for your Birmingham student accommodation is quick and easy.
You can pay through:
- Direct debit
- Card payment
- UnionPay (for International students)
You will also have the option to pay in one, three or seven instalments, which can make the cost of renting more affordable.
All bills are included, so you won’t encounter any unexpected or additional costs. A deposit isn’t needed, but depending on the property, an advanced rent payment may be required.
All renters also require a guarantor. This should be someone over the age of 25 (such as a parent or carer) who can guarantee payments will be maintained if you fail to pay your rent on time.
Pay by card
When should I book student accommodation in Birmingham?
You can book your student accommodation in Birmingham for the next academic year from the first week in November. We operate on a first come-first served basis, so it’s worth getting your application in sooner rather than later. This way you can relax, knowing everything has been taken care of.
Book now to lock in the price for 2023/24. This means no unexpected rises in costs before you start uni.
Booking student accommodation through clearing
If you’re applying to university through clearing, don’t worry, there may still be plenty of rooms available. If we don’t have any rooms available, there is also the option to join our waiting list. And if you don’t get the grades you need to get into university, our No Place No Pay policy lets you terminate your rental agreement. (Applicable to first year students only).
How much is student accommodation in Birmingham?
Birmingham is an affordable city for students, with plenty of affordable student halls. Exact figures will vary depending on the location and you’ll often find cheaper accommodation options outside of the city centre.
How secure is the student accommodation in Birmingham?
Our student accommodation in Birmingham is equipped with systems designed to help keep you safe and secure. To access the property, you’ll need a secure fob or card system. Each bedroom also features its own door lock for added security. We also have CCTV in operation, and an overnight safety team on hand.
What is the best student area in Birmingham?
Selly Oak is the most popular student district in Birmingham, mainly due to its proximity to the University of Birmingham. The residential area is also thriving with plenty of shops, restaurants, and bars for students to indulge in.
Can I view accommodation before booking in Birmingham?
With Unite Students you can get a feel of where you’re going to live before booking your university accommodation in Birmingham. Simply book a viewing online, or request a viewing via email or phone. You can also take a 360° virtual tour of the property from the comfort of your home.
Do you have to stay in halls at Birmingham university?
No, you don’t have to stay in halls at Birmingham University. With Unite Students, you have the flexibility to book private student accommodation in Birmingham. This can be a great option for those looking for a studio apartment, as well as returning students and post-grads.